One Main Idea: Love for Jesus motivates us to keep His commandments.
1. Loving Jesus
a. Love is from God
b. Those who don’t love do not know God
c. God’s love was revealed to us by His sending Jesus into the world
d. God loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins
2. Obeying Jesus
1John 1: 8-9, 14:23-24
God has provided all the means necessary to obey via changed hearts, no longer being slaves to sin, the Holy Spirit, belonging to the body of Christ.
John 14: 13-14
1. The Scope of Our Prayers
2. The Requirements of Our Prayers
a. Have faith in Jesus
b. Pray based on the merits of Jesus
c. Ask according to Jesus nature, purpose and will
3. The Goal of Our Prayers
The Glory of God
Judges 7:24 – 8:32
The one big idea:
As Christians, we must never forget that God stands behind every achievement in our vocation and our personal holiness.
1. I must never let my concern for status or my pursuit of security undermine the unity and energy of the church.
2. Every failure to recognize God as the source of our being and the fount that enables our good works is due to the sin of pride.
3. No amount of human folly can ever undo God’s promise of eternal life to His elect.
John 14: 12-17
1. The Nature of These Works
God’s definition of greatness: preaching the Gospel, making disciples
2. The Source of These Works
a. Faith in Jesus
c. Loving Obedience
d. Rely on the Holy Spirit
1. Show Us the Father
2. To see Jesus is to see the Father
3. Do you want to see God? Then look to Jesus.
1. Cures for a troubled heart
a. Believe in God, believe also in Jesus
b. Know that we have a home in heaven
c. Jesus will come again
2. The way to heaven
a. The Way – Reconciliation
b. The Truth – Revelation
c. The Life – Regeneration
Luke 22:35-38 and Isaiah 53
1. Dramatic Changes are Coming
2. Scripture Must Be Fulfilled
The mysteryy of the servant
The rejection of the servant
The atonement of the servant
The submission of the servant
The exaltation of the servant
3. The Disciples Response
The one big idea:
Weak is not in the way we look or how we feel, weak is what we are. God wants us to recognize this truth because He uses servants not heroes in His redeeming work.
1. Weak is what we are and God will not use us in His work until we recognize our weakness.
2. God delights in my weakness because He is glorified when He gives me strength to stand for Him in every situation.
3. It is not our hand that saves us but the hand that was pierced by nails.
Luke 22:31-34 and John 13:33-37
1. Satan Demands to Test Us
2. Weaknesses that led to Peter’s failure:
a. His ignorance
b. Overconfidence in himself
c. Neglect of spiritual resources
3. Jesus Intercedes for Us
Romans 12: 1-2
1. Present Your Bodies Holy and Acceptable to God
2. Do Not Be Conformed to This World
3. Be Transformed by the Renewal of Your Mind
4. Discern What is the Will of God