The one big idea: God accomplished his predetermined plans in and through a fallen creation to display his glory to all creation.
While we may not always understand the means God uses to accomplish his will, we can be certain that the end will be perfect.
God calls us out of the world and makes us different and different can be lonely.
God will never abandon me because he always remembers his promise to me.
John 16: 16-22
1. Jesus’ Warning
2. The Disciples’ Confusion
3. Sorrow Turned to Joy
a. Sorrow at the cross
b. Joy at the resurrection
The instrument of sorrow becomes the instrument of joy.
One big idea: Yahweh is always the hero of every Bible story because he is never limited by the weakness of those he uses to accomplish his purpose.
1. I can laugh, even through my tears, at the events around me when I trust in the One who reigns from heaven.
2. I can stand in courage without compromise by trusting in the power of God and knowing I do not stand alone.
3. God’s promises are final, and no one can prevent them from being fulfilled, not even me.
God uses even the worst of our decisions and actions to accomplish His purpose.
1. Secrets destroy relationships and the people who keep them.
2. Secrets don’t remain secret. They become new secrets, and the danger continues.
3. In eternity past, the Triune God secretly planned our redemption and slowly unveiled the secret until the full revelation in the resurrection of Jesus Christ.
The Spirit’s Ministry to the World
a. Concerning Sin Rom 3:23, 6:23
b. Concerning Righteousness Acts 2:22, Rom 3:21-22
c. Concerning Judgement Col 2:13-15, James 4:7, Eph 6:11
John 15:18-16:4 1. A Promise of Hatred and Persecution Acts 5:41-42, Phil 1:29-30 -Christians are not of the world -Christians are chosen by Christ -Christians are identified with Christ 2. Reasons Why the World Hates Jesus -They do not know God -Because of the words He spoke -Because of the works He did 3. Our…
Is Church Membership Biblical?
1. Keeping track of members Acts 6:2-3
2. Instructions given to church leaders Acts 20:28-31, Heb 13:17, 1Pet 5:1-2
3. Instructions on church discipline Matt 18:15-17
4. Instructions to love and care for our members John 13: 34-35, Gal 6:10, Eph 2:19-20 1Tim 3:14-15
The Divine Ontology of Covenantal Soteriology The one big idea: Covenants are relational statements of the legal and moral terms and conditions by which a holy and just God deals with his creation. 1. God’s greatest desire for us is to be our God and for us to be his people and that will happen…
1. Members of One Body
2. Members of One Another
3. Responsibilities of Members