The One Big idea: God’s promise of true peace is reserved for those who are lowly in spirit and brokenhearted.
1. The announcement of the birth of Jesus reveals the beginning of God’s work in history to reunite heaven and earth.
2. The angels unique message is of a Savior who will restore God’s image in us, reconcile us to Him, and bring us a true and lasting peace.
3. The promise of peace in all circumstances is for everyone who has received God’s gracious gift of faith in Christ.
A Theology of Songs and Singing
The one big idea: God has the sole authority to determine how he will be worshiped and his guidelines bring about our deepest satisfaction and his highest glory.
1. Singing strengthens us in trial and expresses our joy in victory as God molds us to conform to the image of Christ.
2. The height of our praise depends on the depth of our theology.
3. We sing for our good. We sing because we have a song. We sing to build faith in others, and we sing to be like God.
The one big idea: At the cross Jesus crushed the rebellion and now reigns from heaven to bring glory to his Father through the Spirit empowered work of his people to bring all nations into his kingdom to reign with him forever.
1. The baptism of Jesus put the powers of darkness on notice that God had come down to take back what was rightfully his.
2. Jesus began his destruction of the gates of hell and setting the captives free with Peter’s confession that Jesus is the Christ, the son of the Living God.
3. The cross was the beginning of an unstoppable march across the known world that will result in a global Eden just as God planned.