Genesis 1:1, 2:1
The One Big Idea: Creation is a two-state reality in covenant relationship with its creator as his temple kingdom.
1. Genesis 1:1 says all things, seen and unseen, were created by God out of nothing when time began.
2. Jesus Christ is present always and everywhere in the Bible’s redemptive story.
3. God’s plan for a spiritual-physical temple for his children will be complete when Jesus returns and unites heaven and earth forever.
Cosmogony: A theory of the origin of the universe.
Aramaic: A Semitic language spoken in Israel since the 6th century BC.
Targum: Aramaic translation of the Old Testament.
Genesis 1:1- 2:3
1. Genesis 1:1 is a unique truth claim made to a particular people of a unique event and is outside of the realm of science.
2. The Bible is written for us, but it was not written to us.
3. The creation account assures us of God’s promised eternal rest in the joy of His presence.