1. Jesus Prays for Unity (vs 20-21)
2. Jesus Prays for Glory (vs 24)
3. Jesus Prays for Love (vs 25-26)
John 15:12-17 and 1Cor 13: 4-7
1. The Command to Love
2. The Character of Love
3. The Objects of Love
John 15: 12-17
1. Love One Another (found 13 times in the new testament)
2. You Are My Friends
3. Go And Bear Fruit
The greatest thing that you and I can do for those we love is to love Christ first.
The greatest thing that you and I can do for Christ is to love our brothers and sisters in Christ.
Also see 1John 3:4-10, 4: 7-8, 16, 19,21
The one big idea: Grace is the act of free an unmerited favor that flows from God’s chesed (unfailing) love and finds its highest expression in the person and work of Jesus Christ.
1. Since only God’s grace enables me to do anything at all, I must always guard against thinking too highly of myself or my accomplishments.
2. It is a great tragedy when people presume upon God’s grace to the point where they despise it even as they seek it. May this never be true of us.
2. Repentance is a divine demand and forgiveness is given only because of divine grace not because of human sorrow.
One Main Idea: Love for Jesus motivates us to keep His commandments.
1. Loving Jesus
a. Love is from God
b. Those who don’t love do not know God
c. God’s love was revealed to us by His sending Jesus into the world
d. God loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins
2. Obeying Jesus
1John 1: 8-9, 14:23-24
God has provided all the means necessary to obey via changed hearts, no longer being slaves to sin, the Holy Spirit, belonging to the body of Christ.
Jesus washed his disciples’ feet as an example, demonstrating his humility, and giving us an example of how we should humbly serve one another.
Jesus’s teaching on the greatest commandment has much to teach us on God’s love for us, our love for Him, our love for others, and the Christian life as a whole.