Christ’s prayer to the Father on behalf of his disciples and all believers.
Isaiah 6: 1-8
1. Convicted by sin
A Theology of Songs and Singing
The one big idea: God has the sole authority to determine how he will be worshiped and his guidelines bring about our deepest satisfaction and his highest glory.
1. Singing strengthens us in trial and expresses our joy in victory as God molds us to conform to the image of Christ.
2. The height of our praise depends on the depth of our theology.
3. We sing for our good. We sing because we have a song. We sing to build faith in others, and we sing to be like God.
The one big idea: At the cross Jesus crushed the rebellion and now reigns from heaven to bring glory to his Father through the Spirit empowered work of his people to bring all nations into his kingdom to reign with him forever.
1. The baptism of Jesus put the powers of darkness on notice that God had come down to take back what was rightfully his.
2. Jesus began his destruction of the gates of hell and setting the captives free with Peter’s confession that Jesus is the Christ, the son of the Living God.
3. The cross was the beginning of an unstoppable march across the known world that will result in a global Eden just as God planned.
Psalm 82, Deuteronomy 32:7-9
One Big Idea: Before time began, the Triune God created a heavenly host to join with mankind in stewarding and perfecting a creation that would glorify God as they enjoyed him forever. Sadly, some rebelled.
1. God has given created spiritual beings authority to act in our physical world to accomplish his immediate and long term will.
2. Man’s rejection of God brought God’s rejection of man. Lesser gods were given dominion but the redeeming grace of Yahweh would win in the end.
3. It is necessary to recognize the difference in worldview if we are to see the deeper truths of the Bible.
1. Jesus Prays for Unity (vs 20-21)
2. Jesus Prays for Glory (vs 24)
3. Jesus Prays for Love (vs 25-26)
1. Jesus Manifested God to Them
2. They Were Taken Out of the World
3. They Have Kept God’s Word
4. They Believed In Christ
1. Mission Accomplished
2. The Father Glorified
3. Father, Glorify Me
-Christ asserts His full deity
-Christ set aside His divine glory
-Christ will ascend back into heaven as the God-man
Intorduction to Jesus’ High Priestly Prayer
1. Jesus Prays to His Father
2. Jesus Prays to Glorify His Father
3. Jesus Intercedes for His Followers
Judges 10:6 – 12:7
The one big idea:
At the core of our fallen nature is a profound self-centeredness that keeps us from caring for others. At the center of God’s perfect nature is his unchanging love for those who do not care, even for him.
1. God chooses the weak and the lowly to accomplish small and great things for his glory, even me.
2. It is the height of human presumption and folly to think I can offer anything to God in exchange for his favor.
3. If I have put my faith in Jesus Christ then I am of Jacob, the Lord’s portion, his allotted heritage and I cannot be lost.