The One Big Idea: God’s law must be the governing standard for Christians regardless of what may seem right in our own eyes.
1. A Pagan Morality (Judges 19:1-28)
The line separating good and evil passes not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties but right through every human heart.
2. A Prideful Problem (Judges 19:30-20:48)
A Christian cannot survive apart from the preaching and teaching of God’s word, corporate worship, and the confirming sacraments of his promises.
3. A Pragmatic Solution (Judges 21:1-23)
The grace of God in Christ to dwell with his people in spite of our sin is the greatest of all miracles.
God often chooses to work in strange ways to show us that His ways are not our ways.
1. In these Old Testament stories, and in our daily lives, we must focus on the salvation God brings, not on the method He chooses.
2. Because we cannot fully grasp the heights of God’s holiness, we will always fail to see the true depths of our sin.
3. Jesus Christ is the final Judge whom God raised up to deliver His people fully and finally from the power of sin.
The church is the body of Christ. He who does not have the church for his mother cannot have God for his father. As the body of Christ, every Christian is to be part of a local expression of the worldwide body of Christ, the church.