1. Both criminals mocked Jesus
2. One criminal repents and believes
He sees his own sin and the sinless Savior
He came to fear God
He confessed his own sinfulness
He believed in Jesus
He asked Jesus to save him
3. Jesus responds to him
Psalm 82, Deuteronomy 32:7-9
One Big Idea: Before time began, the Triune God created a heavenly host to join with mankind in stewarding and perfecting a creation that would glorify God as they enjoyed him forever. Sadly, some rebelled.
1. God has given created spiritual beings authority to act in our physical world to accomplish his immediate and long term will.
2. Man’s rejection of God brought God’s rejection of man. Lesser gods were given dominion but the redeeming grace of Yahweh would win in the end.
3. It is necessary to recognize the difference in worldview if we are to see the deeper truths of the Bible.
The one big idea: Grace is the act of free an unmerited favor that flows from God’s chesed (unfailing) love and finds its highest expression in the person and work of Jesus Christ.
1. Since only God’s grace enables me to do anything at all, I must always guard against thinking too highly of myself or my accomplishments.
2. It is a great tragedy when people presume upon God’s grace to the point where they despise it even as they seek it. May this never be true of us.
2. Repentance is a divine demand and forgiveness is given only because of divine grace not because of human sorrow.
God allows affliction to teach me to trust Him and learn to find comfort in knowing He will always deliver me.
God is Sovereign and His will is always done, yet He gives us the privilege of playing an important part in that work.
We sing to remind ourselves that regardless of the time or trials we face God will preserve us until we are finally home with Him forever.