A Theology of Songs and Singing
The one big idea: God has the sole authority to determine how he will be worshiped and his guidelines bring about our deepest satisfaction and his highest glory.
1. Singing strengthens us in trial and expresses our joy in victory as God molds us to conform to the image of Christ.
2. The height of our praise depends on the depth of our theology.
3. We sing for our good. We sing because we have a song. We sing to build faith in others, and we sing to be like God.
God’s people must have the leadership of a reightous king.
1. Compounding sin can never lead to God’s blessing.
2. God has established timeless worship principles which do not change to accommodate our preferences.
3. Rejecting God leads to stunning depths of brokenness, even as things continue to seem right in everyone’s eyes.
Job 1:20-22, James 1:2, John 11:35
1. God is always worthy of worship
2. God allows His peope to suffer to refine and strengthen them
3. Everything God does is based on His infinite knowledge of all things.
God’s compassion and mercy are woven through all He does.
God’s glory is not served by denying the reality of grief and tragedy, but by passing through tragedy with the hope of resurrection.
Judges 6: 1-40
The one big idea: In difficult times, often God’s only offer is “I will be with you.” It may not be the response we want, but it’s always sufficient for our needs.
1. God allows our trials and the consequences of sin to afflict us so we can see His mercy in the proper light.
2. I can believe God’s promise to be with me because it is the foundation for His eternal praise, glory, and honor.
3. The only reasonable response to God’s act of saving me is a full commitment to Christ in every are of my life.
God allows affliction to teach me to trust Him and learn to find comfort in knowing He will always deliver me.
God is Sovereign and His will is always done, yet He gives us the privilege of playing an important part in that work.
We sing to remind ourselves that regardless of the time or trials we face God will preserve us until we are finally home with Him forever.